Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Tooth Fairy inflation

I remember when I lost my first tooth.  I was about 6 years old and so excited to trade in my yucky tooth for a shiny quarter.  That's right a quarter, 25 cents. Back in the 70's that bought a lot more than it does today, but when did the tooth fairy start leaving serious cash?

When my oldest lost his first tooth, I asked my friends who had been the tooth fairy before how much did they leave and I got various answers.  Some left $1, some left $2 and a few gave a small toy in lieu of money.  So my husband and I decided on $1 per tooth, which was reasonable and makes it fun trip to visit the dollar store.  Now, 6 years later, I was talking to some friends and it seems $5 is the standard for lost teeth, but if it's the FIRST tooth lost $10 or even as high as $20 (usually for molars).   Kids have 20 baby teeth so that roughly adds up to: $10 for first tooth+ $75 for non-molar baby teeth+ $80 molars= $165 per child. That is a lot of money! Boy, my kids are going to be ticked off when they find out how they are getting screwed by the tooth fairy (we still give $1 per tooth).

How did this madness come about?  Was it that mommy ran out of $1 bills and had to leave whatever bill she had in her purse, and now a precedent has been set?  Or did the parents forget the first night the tooth was put under the pillow (it's happened to all of us) and felt so guilty they decided to give the kids a raise? I wonder if the kids compare their payouts at school.  If so, then I can't wait for Tate to come home and tell me he is now going to leave his tooth at so-and-so's house because their tooth fairy leaves more money for teeth. 

Aren't we as parents losing sight of what the tooth fairy is all about?  Isn't it about the fun,  the fantasy and magic that the tooth fairy represents?  The tooth fairy celebrates the transition from being a little kid to becoming a big kid. Kids don't really care about how much money is left, it's the excitement of waking up in the morning and finding treasure. Young children love the world of make believe and fantasy, and if we remember to focus on that aspect and make it fun, they will be thrilled to get anything for their lost teeth.

 One of my friends whose child recently lost her first tooth, did a very cute idea that I wish I would've thought of a long time ago.  Her tooth fairy leaves glitter, 2 quarters and some fake gem stones or polished rocks.  Genius!  That really captures the essence of what the tooth fairy is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment