Why do I feel compelled to sign up for so many events? Every June, I say the same thing, "I'm going to cut back on volunteer hours next year." Then I proceed to have a lovely summer, and then September rolls around and there I am, in the school auditorium, signing up to help out at another school event. It's almost like I have amnesia! Why can't I remember that I have only so much time to give, and things get crazy around the house when mommy does too much volunteering? As I zip off to yet another school event, I must hide my eyes from the sink with dirty dishes and the pile of laundry that is growing bigger by the minute.
Am I a closet control freak? Do I feel if I don't do things my way, they won't get done? Why do I feel I have to have a part in almost every event going on at school? Don't get me wrong, I love helping out my friends and volunteering is a great way to get to know the inner workings of the school and get to see my kids in action, but COME ON. The school will not crumble and dissolve if I do not chair events. Or maybe, I am a people pleaser and don't like to have anyone not like me. Whatever the reason, I definitely have an addiction.
I often refer to my inability to say no, as the "phantom hand syndrome". The phantom hand syndrome strikes any place and anytime. Most often This happens when I am in a group of women and someone asks for a chairperson, and if not one person volunteers to do it, I will raise my hand against my better judgement. Maybe, I just need to sit quietly and keep my hands in my lap. :)

Bravo for taking on a blog! I completely understand what you're saying... and I must add, that it is amazing that with ALL you do, that you are able to be the fun, cool, easy-going, great person that you are! You somehow make it all happen without being a stressed-out b----! Kudos to you, J !! Your 4 blues are very lucky indeed! XO
ReplyDelete