Thirsty Thursday, the appetizer and featured cocktail hour, was invented during the evening practice schedule. As the kids got out of school for summer vacation, Thirsty Thursday morphed into Friday Brunch. Mimosa's, bloody marys and decadent breakfast casseroles and cinnamon rolls were a weekly occurrence. Once swim meets started, the saturday afternoon "after meet parties" lingered well into the evenings. Sunday afternoons were often spent BBQing at the pool with coolers of Margarita's or Sangria. While I cherish this time of year hanging with my girlfriends, the empty calories add up!
You would think hanging out by the pool dressed in resort wear, I would be a little more careful in my calorie counting. It's funny how fast and virtually unnoticed the pounds can add up. Wearing sundresses and swimsuit cover ups somehow give the illusion of maintaining. It isn't until I try to squeeze into a pair of jeans I haven't worn for a month does it become clear that I have gained some weight! I guess loose empire waisted dresses can become the enemy, letting those calories that have settled on my hips and belly fly under the radar.
As swim team comes to an end, the social events start to slow down, and by mid-August I feel like I can stop the excessive caloric intake. During August, September and through mid October I can kind of get a handle on things, but forget about the holidays! Cookie exchanges, dinners out with the girls and holiday parties really start adding the calories up again. The festive holiday atmosphere really lends itself to overdoing it. Rocky road fudge, egg nog, the list of absolutely delicious but fattening food and drink goes on and on.
I have decided that the month I look and feel the thinnest is in February. Yes, February! When I am bundled up in sweaters and jackets, and the only bit of skin visible is from the neck up. February is typically the hiatus from social events, and I can restrain myself somewhat from overdoing it. Why is it when I would look stellar in a bikini, it is 50 degrees outside? It's not fair!!
When I was in my twenties, calories were not an issue. I could eat cheeseburgers and drink pina coladas seven days a week and not gain an ounce. As my twenties turned into my thirties, I started noticing a drop off in the metabolism, but not that much. As long as I was working out 3-4 days a week, I could pretty much eat whatever I wanted. Now that I am approaching forty, I realize it is a day-to day battle. Now I not only have to watch the calorie intake, but make sure I get a workout in most days of the week. Now I feel like I have to choose between a "liquid diet" and eating, not both! :)

No comments:
Post a Comment